This is the yoga class I always needed but never found! I wish it had been the first yoga class I ever took, and consider it an indespensible class for anyone concerned about their posture. Each class includes an asana (postures) practice – PLUS – a different experiencial-educational focus each week with handouts. The information is cumulative, so if you miss a class, I will give you a personal review of that class so you won’t be left in the dust! ~ Annelise
Note: Registration is required for everyone attending the series. ($15 drop-in fee, only for those who have completed a series with Annelise.)
I invite new students to attend the first class for free! Try it, and see if you like it. Contact me to register for the first class free.
Modern life conspires against good posture. Young and old, we spend our days sitting at desks, in cars, staring at computers, all causing an epidemic of back and neck problems. Our society has “forward head syndrome” and we’re ruining our spines.
Our spines have lost their natural curves, replaced by a wide variety of abnormal curves, including a flat neck, hunched upper back (kyphosis), jutting forward of the head (“forward head”), sway in the lower back (lordosis), and scoliosis.
Hunching also strains the back muscles, causing them to overstretch and become weak. The chest collapses, compressing the heart, lungs, and diaphragm. These extreme curves contribute to many painful problems—muscle strain, joint pain, disk problems, shallow breathing, tension, depression, headaches, and more severe medical problems.
Participants will learn:
- how your computer and cell phone have affected your spine, and how to change it
- life-long skills to maintain a strong, flexible, and supple back for good posture
- good posture basics – how to stand, sit, and walk properly
- to strengthen the core muscles necessary for good posture
- to re-align the spine to neutral
- to stretch and release neck, back, and hip tension
This class offering is based on:
- 10 years of on-going research, plus experimentation on myself (starting with terrible posture and 35 years of chronic neck and back pain from a traumatic injury).
- 6 years of teaching Bluebird Yoga classes and workshops: Therapeutic Yoga for Healthy Backs; Gentle Core Yoga; Stiff Guy Yoga; Yoga for Posture 101; Yoga for Arthritis; Free Yourself from Pain; Anatomy and Asanas (A Magical Mystery Anatomy Tour); Yoga for Low Back Therapy; Anatomy and Back Care.
- Neuro-Muscular Programming, a proven technique of repetition to correct dysfunctional movement.
What class participants say:
~ Your courses (Healthy Back, Posture 101 and Arthritis) have taught me that going to the ‘Y’ a few days a week and taking long walks, while good things, are simply not enough to help ensure good health as I get older. Everything you teach, explain and demonstrate makes sense because of your explanation of the human anatomy. Put differently, the poses and exercises make sense and progress can be seen and felt almost immediately. As a result they are easy to incorporate into one’s daily life, not as a chore, but as something I look forward to. My posture has improved dramatically and my flexibility has improved noticeably. My upper and lower back is stronger and, while I may never to return to my college weight, I have returned to my college height, thanks to Yoga For Posture! Bob Mancuso
~ First, thanks for teaching this class. I’ve tried yoga in the past (with the urging of my wife), and found it unappealing. Your class is different in that your focus is on posture. Mine has been slipping with age, but now I see hope. Chuck Fink, Men’s Wisdom Works
~ Annelise has make us aware of our posture, how important it is to us as we become older, and has guided us in improving it. A totally worthwhile class! Plus, a lot of fun, she inspired good class participation.
~ For the first time in many attempts, I found the right yoga course (Yoga for Posture 101) and the right teacher. This was so much better in that I was able to focus on a specific body region. The exercises/movements Annelise sent us were priceless for our being able to continue the regime.
Town and Mountain Training Center is conveniently located on the south side of downtown Asheville at 261 Ashland Avenue at Phifer St. (McDowell St. changes into Ashland Avenue)
Park in Town and Mountain Realty’s parking lot.
To the left of the Town and Mountain entrance, you will see signs to the Town and Mountain Training Center. The studio is in the back of Town and Mountain Realty.